To keep the outdoor activity courtyards clean and beautiful in order to provide an inviting peaceful atmosphere for the elders outdoor enjoyment.
Scope of Responsibilities
- Clean-up landscape as needed, including sweeping walkways & pruning woody ornamentals
- Trim, deadhead plants
- Dispose of yard waste into yard waste bins
- Plant annuals and perennial plants, as requested in all raised flower beds and pots
- Fertilize as requested (after bulb bloom for all bulbs, periodically for perennials, after bloom for rhododendrons)
- Assist vine plants in growing up the trellis in HH courtyard through purposeful placement or using ties
- Stake other plants, as needed (ex.-lilies with stakes plus twist ties, salvia with string)
- Remove hoses and nozzles from storage unit and put in place ready for use, return to storage after emptying in the fall water as needed, 2-3 times a week in hot months (July and August)
- Weed as needed
- Plant seeds in the fall in the indoor pots
- Water and prune indoor plants
- Keep patio furniture clean and wiped down each visit
Training and Supervision
Green House Homes Shahbazim
Minimum Time Commitment
May through October. Can be done as a one time service project, every other week, or monthly. Hours are flexible.
Qualifications & Expectations
- Self directed and friendly
- Minimum: 14 years of age
- Ability to complete the physical tasks of landscaping
- Satisfactoin of helping improve a person’s quality of life by preparing an inviting outdoor space for the elders to enjoy.
- Gain experience in a home based atmosphere of a senior retirement community.
Volunteer Services Coordinator
Porter Hills Village Retirement Community
3600 E. Fulton St.
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
616-954-1799 EXT. 10233