A Tradition of Care.
Click here to learn more about outpatient rehabilitation therapy in the Martindill Wellness Center Outpatient clinic at Porter Hills Village >
Click here to learn more about in-home rehabilitation therapy with Porter Hills Home Care >
Porter Hills Health & Rehabilitation Center provides skilled nursing care to seniors who require nursing services for the purpose of either improving or maintaining their health. With 24 hour nursing staff, you can rest assured that we deliver courteous and compassionate high-quality care.
We will work with your personal physician and/or our own Medical Director to help you determine the best possible course of care. Social services staff acts as a liaison between families and community resources. We also arrange for therapeutic diets and/or visits from geropsychiatrists, podiatrists, optometrists, dentists, adult bladder control clinics, or audiologists, when they are needed.
Our dedicated staff is experienced in and committed to working with older adults. This unwavering commitment, combined with our innovative care approach, ensures maximum success. That's something you and your family can feel good about.
A comprehensive, coordinated approach to your health care needs
Our Health & Rehabilitation Center has on-site nursing staff 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can rest assured that we provide continuous, high quality care, delivered in the most courteous, respectful and compassionate manner. Our staff will work together with your (or your loved one's) personal physician to help determine the best possible course of care. We also have our own Medical Director who is available should you need it.
Our social services staff acts as a liaison between our resident's family and a wide array of community resources that might be involved in your care or the care of your family member. We also arrange for and coordinate any special health-related needs you or your family member may require or desire, such as a particular therapeutic diet, visits from medical professionals who specialize in treating older adults such as a geropsychiatrist. We'll also arrange appointments with a podiatrist, optometrist, dentist, audiologist, or an adult bladder control clinic when they are needed.
Our Rehabilitation Center
Porter Hills Rehabilitation offers an innovative care approach to ensure maximum independence and functional performance. We realize older adults may have a wide range of needs and we challenge ourselves to provide optimal therapeutic and creative programs to enhance the lives of the people we serve.
Gait and balance training, fall prevention, strength and endurance training, stretching and range of motion.
Our affiliation with Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital, allows an abundance of up-to-date instructional, educational and therapeutic resources. We also offer a continuum of therapy services through our Outpatient Clinic and Porter Hills Home Health Care. That way you have the consistency of the same therapy provider as you gain independence and return to your prior level of function.
- Self-care management, wheelchair positioning, adaptive equipment training, cognitive skills development and environmental adaptation.
- Speech Language Pathology Communication and comprehension,swallowing, oral/facial function and cognition.
We have several planned activities throughout the day which may include:
The Admissions Process
- Inter-generational opportunities with our Child Development Center and pet therapy.
- Meals are served on china by Dining Services staff.
- Several lounge areas for use by residents and their families.
- A Beauty and Barbershop is located on site for our residents’ convenience.
- Banking and pharmacy services are located on the Porter Hills campus.
- Two courtyards allow residents to enjoy the outdoors.
When you arrive at Porter Hills' Health & Rehabilitation Center, please plan on a family member or patient advocate to be present with you to assist with the admissions process which will include:
Signing Paperwork and Forms
- Several evaluations are completed to understand the needs and desires of the resident.
- A nurse will conduct a comprehensive physical assessment and ask questions about current and past medical conditions.
- There will also be evaluations by a Physician and staff from the Therapy (physical, occupational and speech), Social Services, Activities, and Dietary departments.
There are several items that are required, by the State of Michigan, to be completed upon admission including:
- Copies of both sides of all insurance cards including Social Security, Primary Insurance, Secondary Insurance, Medicare or Medicaid.
- Copies of Advanced Directives include Patient Advocate, Power of Attorney, and Living Will.
- Other paperwork including consents, authorizations, privacy notice, treatment options and a contract. The contract is required by the State of Michigan and is a ten page legal document that lists the name of the resident, the date services begin, the rate per day and payment information. The contract also includes information on physicians, prescriptions, contracted personal assistants, activities, meals, supplemental services, rights and responsibilities, contract termination, moves, and personal items.
What to Bring
We like to have our residents feel at home and each resident has differing needs and wants.
- Night clothing (pajamas, night-shirt, robe, etc.)
- Eye glasses and hearing aides
- Toiletries and daily essentials (i.e. make-up)
- Comb and/or brush (available if needed)
- Loose fitting, comfortable clothing and shoes
- Undergarments and socks
- Cane, walker, wheelchair
Please feel free to bring items that make you feel comfortable. These may include:
- Television (each room has an output for cable television)
- Phone (Phone service is available by contacting the local phone company and providing them the unit and room location of the resident. Speak with Porter Hills staff for assistance.)
- A special quilt or pillow
- Other items for decoration
(We recommend that money and valuables be kept at home.)